Gardening in Zone 3 presents its own set of challenges. This zone is characterized by short growing seasons and extremely cold winters. However, many perennials not only survive but also thrive in these conditions. Let's explore some of the top picks available at Weaver Family Farms Nursery. Zone 3 is one of the coldest zones that there are, where you are getting to where less plants can live, however we offer here from our small family nursery multiple plants that can live in zone 3!
Purple Leaf Sand Cherry (Prunus cistena)
The Purple Leaf Sand Cherry is an ornamental shrub that stands out with its deep purple foliage. It provides a striking contrast in gardens and is perfect for creating a focal point.
- Attributes: This deciduous shrub can grow up to 8 feet tall and offers white to pink flowers in the spring. The cherry-red fruits it bears are a favorite amongst birds.
- Care: Prefers full sun and well-draining soil.
- Uses: Ideal for hedges or as a standalone shrub.
Aurora Haskap Honey Berry
The Aurora Haskap Honey Berry is known for its sweet and tangy berries. A perfect pick for the cold climates of Zone 3.
- Attributes: Produces larger berries with a sweeter taste compared to other varieties.
- Care: Needs well-drained soil and regular watering.
- Uses: Perfect for fresh eating, jams, or baking.
Tundra Haskap Honeyberry
Another great addition from the Haskap family is the Tundra Haskap Honeyberry. It is hardy and resilient.
- Attributes: Known for its delicious berries and hardy nature.
- Care: Prefers full to partial sun.
- Uses: Berries are great for snacking, baking, or making preserves.
Ginkgo Biloba Tree
Often referred to as the "Maidenhair Tree" or "Fossil Tree", the Ginkgo Biloba Tree is one of the oldest tree species.
- Attributes: Distinct fan-shaped leaves that turn a beautiful golden color in the fall.
- Care: Adaptable to various soil types and prefers full sun.
- Uses: Excellent for shade or ornamental purposes.
Silver Maple Tree (Acer saccharinum)
The Silver Maple Tree is a fast-growing tree, ideal for creating quick shade.
- Attributes: Recognized by its lobed leaves and silvery underside.
- Care: Tolerant to a variety of soil conditions and thrives in full sun.
- Uses: Landscape shade tree.
Original Orange Daylily (Hemerocallis fulva)
Also known as the "Ditchlily", the Original Orange Daylily is a low-maintenance perennial.
- Attributes: Features vibrant orange flowers that can rejuvenate any garden.
- Care: Prefers well-draining soil and moderate sunlight.
- Uses: Ideal for borders, mass plantings, or ground cover.
Norway Spruce Tree (Picea abies)
The Norway Spruce Tree is a robust evergreen tree, perfect for the cold climates of Zone 3.
- Attributes: Known for its dark green needles and pyramidal shape.
- Care: Grows well in moist, well-drained soils.
- Uses: Often used for Christmas trees or windbreaks.
Red Twig Dogwood (Red Osier Dogwood)
Brighten up the winter landscape with the striking red stems of the Red Twig Dogwood.
- Attributes: Offers beautiful white flowers in the spring, followed by berries and vibrant red stems in winter.
- Care: Adaptable to various soil types and prefers full to partial sun.
- Uses: Ideal for borders, hedges, or as a focal point.
With the right perennials, Zone 3 gardening can be both rewarding and beautiful. Choose any of the above plants to ensure a vibrant and thriving garden year-round. And remember, Weaver Family Farms Nursery is here to provide you with the best selections tailored for your needs!